Friday, May 2, 2008

Run Day at Portola Valley & Alpine

The last weekend of each month is open for members of the Portola Valley & Alpine Railroad, a 7.5" gauge line on the property of Jacques Littlefield in the town of Portola near Palo Alto, CA. I have been a member there for 8 years now and try to get up when I can. Well Sunday the 27th was a beautiful day, so I decided to go and try out the Chloe. I invited my good friend Bob Reedy to come also as he has been building a Pennsy E-2 Atlantic that is just gorgeous! So we loaded up and drove the 45 minutes to the track and steamed up. This was the first time that Bob's Atlantic has been on the rails.


Bob Reedy's exquisite Pennsylvania RR E-2 Atlantic representing the as built in 1902.


Here is the Chloe on a steaming bay. This was the engines first trip out on rails after its extensive overhaul which I finished in January.

After a few trips around the track with the Chloe I put her away and assisted Bob in firing up the Atlantic and getting this heavy loco out on the rails. Bob had a small mishap on the way up to the track so some quick repairs were needed before he could run, but this was no problem.


Here we are coming off of the turntable headed for the mainline.


Highball on the mainline!
Bob is one heck of a machinest. There are very few castings on the locomotive and it is true to the prototype. Bob has been building this engine for the last 5+ years. It steams very well, and after a little tweaking and some more break-in runs, will be a powerful performer.


MUSTANG UPDATE
Well my nephew is probably chomping at the bit to get his 1966 Mustang back. I have been restoring this car for over two years off and on. Finally as he graduates from High School, he will get a beautiful piece of American Iron! I really kicked it into gear this week as I finished up the upholstery and interior. Put in a stereo, restored the original black plates, installed new trim and other pieces. All that is left is some touch-up on the paint, and a few cosmetics. Still waiting for the kick panels that have been back ordered. Today I took it for a spin around the camp after putting electronic ignition in it to make it very reliable. Man I love this car!











Did I say just how much I love this car?
Anyhow its off to the Pacific Coast Railroad for a week of prep and then the Roundup. Will post some more pics then.
Later,
Grumps

No comments: