Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Merry Christmas to all...

And a happy New Year! Things just gotta get better, right?

Well last weekend was spent over at the Hillcrest and Wahtoke in Reedley. Arrival on Saturday PM to get ready for the annual PJ party where yours truly put on the suit and did the Santa gig for 200+ patrons and guests.

Sunday was the last run day of the operating season so I was on the call board. The reliable and favorite Glenwood #13 was fired up only to find some parts to the valve gear linkage missing from the previous nights run. So had to throw a fire in the Glenwood #5. After fighting the air pump and getting it past the threshold of thermal expansion, she came alive and ran well for the last half of 15 runs that day. We hauled over 225 paying customers on the railroad, which is not bad for the last day. Hillcrest is a Christmas Tree Farm and all the pre-cuts were sold out already and the choose & cut were limited. I think two trees were sold that day.



In the afternoon, I had some friends show up and even some that I did not expect. The Crouch's and Estep's from Fresno all came out to ride. Here I am with Dave C. and Ron E. Boy am I short or what!



Earlier an old high school classmate of mine stopped by. Harry Salvini and his wife Kathy from Grass Valley.



And someone else who came out to ride with me on the locomotive... my wife Debbie! It is a rare occasion when she gets out of the house and comes with me to these events etc. She had fun. Thanks to Dave and Belle Kope of the Hillcrest Gang for putting us up in the "Badger Den"! Also to Sean and Melissa Bautista the owners of Hillcrest for having such a wonderful place to come to and allow me to run this fine equipment. And I cannot forget Butch, the KING OF CORNDOGS, who makes them special for me using my vegetarian links. He sent us home with a dozen or more. Thanks Butch you're the best!



Last week, I finished getting the rest of the 15" gauge stuff over the hill from Campbell. Here is the Crown being loaded.



Our motley crew consisting of Edgar Nuno, my youngest Jeremy poking his head through the window, and Bryce Reynolds.



Back at Soquel after a pressure wash.



Shay update on Friday with pictures of the progress! Until then...

No comments: